Mechanics Institute


The Mechanics Institute was a technical school founded in 1885 by Captain Henry Lomb, Max Lowenthal, Ezra Andrews, Frank Ritter, William Peck, and other Rochester buisnessmen.

The purpose of the school was to provide technical training for skilled laborers in industry.

Tuition was free the first year.

In 1891, the Mechanics Institute combined with the Rochester Athenaeum to form a school with an enrollment of over 1,000 students.1