Silver Stadium

Former Location
500 Norton St, Rochester, NY 14621
Status: Historical
Stadium demolished late 1997, early 1998
[wikipedia]Silver Stadium

Silver Stadium was the home of the Rochester Red Wings from 1929 - 1996. It was one of the most historic Minor League ballparks at its time of demolition in 1997. Originally constructed in 1929 as Red Wing Stadium, it was renamed in 1968 after Maurice E. Silver, who led a group of stockholders to purchase the stadium and franchise from the St. Louis Cardinals.

The Red Wings final game was played at the stadium on August 30, 1996 against the Ottawa Lynx. The Red Wings moved to Frontier Field in 1997, and Silver Stadium was demolished. See the photo link below for images during and after the demolition.

Silver Stadium was also a performance venue hosting such acts as Grateful Dead in 1988 as well as Metalica, Aerosmith, and Bon Jovi.

See Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Notes and References