|Crosses the Genesee River at the interesection of Mt Hope Ave and Exchange Blvd, Rochester, NY (1 mile south of center-downtown)|
The Ford Street Bridge, first built in 1840 as a wood structure and later rebuilt (around 1919?) as a truss bridge is composed of connected steel elements in the fashion of a "pony truss". This style truss carries its roadbed in the middle of the truss where the sides extend above the roadbed but are not connected.
Recently renovated, the Ford Street Bridge won an award from the people who helped to restore it, the Western New York Landmark Society. The award, "The Award of Merit", was given for everyone involved willingness to restore the bridges appearance to its original design. Brilliantly it once again features four concrete pylons topped with large light globes.
The Ford Street Bridge was formerly the Clarissa Street Bridge, but was renamed in 1977 by City Council.
Notes and References
|Bridge in Winter, similar to above right||View of Downtown Rochester from the Ford Street Bridge (click for full size)|
Note: You must be logged in to add comments