Rochesterville was the name given to the settlement laid out in 1811 by Nathaniel Rochester on a 100 acre plot of land along the Genesee River around the Upper Falls. Late in 1811 Rochester started selling plots in the new settlement of Rochesterville, named after himself. In 1812, Rochester moved his family to Rochesterville and joined several other first settlers of what was later to become the chartered Town of Rochesterville in 1817 and the City of Rochester in 1834. 1

When Rochesterville was officially chartered in 1817 it also included the parcel of land owned by the Brown brothers (of Brown's Race) and other land owners. The industrial settlement known as Frankfort was included in the annexation. By 1823, Rochesterville had become known as Rochester. 2