In 1838, he was elected as mayor, and he served as mayor until 1839. He was succeeded by Samuel George Andrews.
Thomas died on October 6, 1874, and was buried in Mount Hope Cemetery.1 After his death, the house was owned by many people. One notable owner was Mary Bliss, who operated a school in the house. Another owner was the Mechanics Institute, who used it as a dormitory and fraternity house. It was sold to the Locust Club in 1921.