|North - Browncroft Boulevard|
|East - North Landing Road|
|South - Blossom Road|
|West - I-590|
|Brighton-Browncroft Neighborhood Association|
Brighton-Browncroft, originally known as "Browncroft Extension," is the suburban expansion of the prestigious early 20th-century Browncroft subdivision in Rochester, whose original western boundary was Newcastle Road. It is an architecturally eclectic neighborhood located near Ellison Park. Its housing stock grew slowly, incorporating diverse styles and periods of domestic architecture.
Designed by the Landscape Architect Francis Hastings Gott, the neighborhood was opened for development to much fanfare in 1926. The magnificent 180'+ long double-arch Corwin Road Bridge was completed early the following year at immense cost. By the advent of the Great Depression about 26 houses had been constructed, concentrated mainly on Windemere Road, Brookwood Road, and Browncroft Boulevard. The Brown Brother's had speculated too brashly, developing the neighborhoods of Valley View, Humboldt Homes, and Orchard Park simultaneously with Browncroft Extension. The company went bankrupt by the early 1930s, with Charles Brown dying in 1933. Between the depression and the end of WWII, only one home was built, until Theodore Jablonski bought the majority of the remaining lots in 1948 and built 75 modest sized ranch homes designed by the Buffalo architecture firm Highland and Highland. In addition to these more modest ranch homes, several mid-century modern homes were designed and built for wealthier clients by Rochester's preeminent architects of the time.
The list of architects that contributed to the neighborhood's unique collection of domestic architecture include:
Dailey, Briggs & Yeager
Faragher & Macomber : East High School
Gordon & Kaelber
Leander McCord Jr
John Normile : Better Homes and Gardens
A. Charles Pioch : Circular Banks
Life in Brighton-Browncroft
Each summer, the Brighton-Browncroft Neighborhood Association holds a family picnic with a children's bicycle parade and prize raffle. The Brighton Browncroft Neighborhood Association in addition to hosting the yearly picnic, also maintains a newsletter and represents its residents at the municipal level. Most recently the "BBNA" fought for the increased awareness and needed restoration of the historic double arched bridge that crosses Grass Creek flowing through the neighborhood.
Athletes from nearby Our Lady of Mercy High School use the neighborhoods roads for distance running. Many also enjoy the isolated and bucolic nature of the roads and sidewalks of the neighborhood for walking, bicycling, and jogging.
Note: You must be logged in to add comments
2014-09-18 21:36:39 This is most obvious if you look on a map but this neighborhood was connected to the Browncroft neighborhood but was cut off by the construction of 590. That's why the are "two" Corwin Roads, it was originally one. —badfish