|182 Avenue D, Rochester, NY 14621|
|Urban League of Rochester|
The George J. Michelsen Building is an old factory in Group 14621 that once housed one of Rochester's longest-running family businesses. Founded in the 1860s, the Michelsens manufactured furniture. The move to Avenue D, chosen for its proximity to the railroad, was part of a decentralization effort. The Michelsen company survived until 1958, when it was purchased by Mangurian's.
The Michelsen Building was revived in the 2010s by the Urban League of Rochester Economic Development Corp. and Edgemere Development as workforce apartments for households earning below 60% of the median area income. The project was completed in August 2015. There are 24 one- and two-bedroom units, along with tenant storage, onsite laundry, a computer lab, onsite parking, and building security. The El Camino Trail runs adjacent to the property.
The four-story building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as one of only two remaining examples of early 20th-century industrial structures in the Group 14621 neighborhood, the other being the 1912 Hickey-Freeman building two blocks east on Avenue D.
See also: Rochester Plumbing Supply Building
Note: You must be logged in to add comments