|Corner of Franklin and Andrews Streets|
Schiller Park's name is comes from a bust of Freidrich von Schiller, a German poet and playwright. He was born in 1759 and died in 1805. Local German-American societies commissioned the bust in the early 1900s and installed it in Anderson Park, located at the corner of Main Street and University Avenue. Unfortunately, Anderson Park was largely destroyed by the construction of the Inner Loop in 1968 and the monument was subsequently moved.
Today, the little plot that is Schiller Park is all that remains of Franklin Square, once a center of the German-American community.
Another Story - A Town Square (2010-03-09)
Note: You must be logged in to add comments
2015-07-29 16:21:44 It should be noted that the photo above is by far the most flattering view possible of this sad little park. —daggar
2015-07-29 16:29:02 Thanks. —EileenF
2017-06-17 22:10:52 Schiller never lived in present day Rochester. He lived his whole life in present day Germany. —StevenSpring
2019-04-09 21:06:16 per Wikipedia, Schiller did not live in Rochester.