The Ford St and South Plymouth Ave Traffic Roundabout is considered a "Modern Roundabout". It is located at the intersection of Ford Street and South Plymouth Avenue right when you exit the Ford Street Bridge. See the Wikipedia article for extensive information and background, including the differences between a roundabout and a traffic circle.
Before even considering entering the roundabout, first and foremost, learn how to drive.
Step 2: Yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk ahead of you.
Step 5: Yield again to pedestrians in the crosswalk as you exit the roundabout.8
Notes and References
Street View on Google - shows the actual roundabout, whereas the satellite view shows the previous intersection with a light (and a large truck waiting for it.
What is a Roundabout - (See Page 7) on StreetActionItems.pdf
Massachusetts has long been populated with thousands of "Rotary" interchanges and ensuing problems with out-of-state motorists who are not familiar with Rotary Rules or Etiquette. The Roads of Massachusetts website reminds drivers: "In practice, older cars in worse condition than yours, and other drivers who fail to make eye contact, always have the right of way in a rotary."
- 1From the city of Rochester Department of Environmental Services pamphlet, with additional comments and suggestions added in italics and footnotes by wiki users.
- 2dipstick is a mild perjorative for a foolish or contemptible person
- 3If you fail to do so, expect drivers in the circle to stop. This is also the case if you come to a stop with your car extending out into the roundabout beyond the dotted lines, or if you begin to roll out into the circle before traffic has passed.
- 4Driving a truck, working a delivery job, or being intoxicated does not exclude you from need to follow this step.
- 5Extend thumb and index finger of both hands with palms facing outward. The one that makes an "L" isn't the direction you want to go. Pull over and ask for assistance with this, if required, before approaching the traffic circle
- 6Really though, even the best of us occasionally drive around the circle a few times before exiting, if only for novelty value.
- 7If you don't, watch for the hand signals of others through your rearview window
- 8However, if you've made it this far without screwing up—you're entitled to clip someone gently