Lodge Building - on City Website
|100 Norris Dr, Rochester, NY 14610
April 1st until November 15th:
Daily: 5:00AM to 11:00PM
November 15th until March 30th:
Daily: 7:00AM to 10:00PM
|585 428 6794
The history of Lake Riley Lodge (formerly known as Cobb's Hill Recreation Center) began in December 1908, with George Eastman's offer to donate the costly north side of Cobb's Hill (named for resident Edna Cobb, who previously owned the land) to the City for a new park, which was developed in conjunction with a second reservoir at Cobb's Hill (the first was atop Highland Park).
George Eastman's gift came with a caveat??? that the City acquire the adjoining Eastern Widewaters tract, (once a part of the Erie Canal) to assure recreational uses for the park. Under the leadership of then-Mayor James G. Cutler, the City took up Eastman's offer, and many recreational uses were made of the Eastern Widewaters area at the base of the hill, later known as Lake Riley, in the following years.
Named for William S. Riley (1858-1928), the City's Dep. Commissioner of Parks (1915-18) and later Commissioner (1918-25), the pond remained a popular venue for such activities as ice-skating, boating and fishing throughout his tenure.
Today, the lake is primarily a restful sanctuary for park visitors and wildlife. Now to be known as Lake Riley Lodge, the warm, cozy lodge-like recreation center constructed adjacent to the lake early in the depression era has been a popular venue for generations of Rochesterians visiting the scenic, multi-faceted park.
The park continues to offer incredible recreational facilities, including tennis courts, basketball courts, softball fields, a playground, picnic areas and the newly renovated Lake Riley Lodge, to be used for summer youth programs, and also now available for the public to "permit" for conferences and family special occasions.
The facility accommodates a maximum of 125 individuals for a $200 per day fee ($325/day holidays).
Note: You must be logged in to add comments
2009-08-11 10:52:12 Send to Andy: Incharge of softball leagues and tournament at cobbs hill. Read below: As you said the Miken Freak is ASA legal but as of Jan. 1., 2008 all 100mph bats even with a certified ASA stamp (Miken Freak) is nolonger legal in ASA play.. OKLAHOMA CITY, OK, — The Amateur Softball Association of America (ASA), the National
Governing Body of Softball in the United States, today announced that under a resolution
adopted by the ASA Board of Directors, bats submitted by manufacturers that were previously
allowed a 2 mph variance in the ASA’s test standards are no longer authorized for use in ASA
Championship Play effective January 1, 2008.
Commonly referred to by players and coaches as “grandfathered” bats, these bats were
allowed a 2 mph testing variance under the terms of an agreement the bat manufacturers and
ASA negotiated in the fall of 2003. These terms will no longer be in effect on January 1, 2008
thus making these bats illegal for use in ASA Championship Play.
According to the list provided to ASA under the terms of the agreement with each
manufacturer, the following bats will be placed on the non approved list on January 1, 2008 —JimC