The Monroe County Legislature is a parliamentary body representing the citizens of 29 districts in Monroe County, New York. Consistent with the "one man, one vote" doctrine first introduced by the Supreme Court in 1964, legislative districts are drawn according to population, each possessing approximately 1/29th of the county population, within a 10% tolerance. The organization of districts is reviewed every decade in accordance with the most recently released U.S. Census.
This review and revision of districts is the responsibility of the Legislature. As of 2021, districts reflect the 2010 census. The new district map is bundled into a bill to be voted on, and if that bill passes the Legislature's approval, it moves on to the County Executive's office to be signed into law.
Interim Appointments and Party Leaders
By convention (though it is not a rule), should a member of the Legislature leave for any reason before his or her term expires, the remaining members of his party will appoint a new Legislator to fill their position. Once the term of the outgoing member has expired, the appointed member is expected to campaign in the next election, subject to the term limit rules outlined above.
The members of both minority and majority parties each elect a leader to represent them in the Legislature. The majority party elects a Speaker for the entire Legislature.
Established on February 23, 1821 from parts of neighboring Genesee and Ontario Counties, the county was named after United States President James Monroe. The first meeting of the 43 member Board of Supervisors took place on May 8, 1821, and the first County Manager was appointed by the Board in 1936. In 1980, the Charter was amended to provide for the direct election of a County Executive for a four-year term beginning in 1984.
In the mid-1960s the Supreme Court to the United States handed down an important decision establishing the “one man-one vote” principle. Based on this historic action, in 1967 the 29-member Monroe County Legislature became this County’s chief lawmaking body, replacing the 43-member Board of Supervisors which had been in existence for 145 years. The Monroe County Charter became effective in 1967 creating the County Legislature.
In 1980, the Charter was amended to provide for the direct election of a County Executive for a four-year term beginning in 1984.