|The Town of East Rochester|
|Location||Southeast of Rochester, in Monroe County, New York||East Rochester (red area), Monroe County, New York|
|Google map||East Rochester|
|Detailed map (PDF)||Detailed map of East Rochester|
|Geographical Area||1.4 sq. miles|
|Population||6,587 as of the 2010 census|
|Incorporated||1906 (village), 1982 (town)|
|Town Hall||East Rochester Town Hall|
|Wikipedia article||East Rochester, NY|
The Village of East Rochester started out as the Village of Despatch in 1897, so named by the Merchants Despatch Transportation Company (MDT), was laid out as a planned community designed around the railroads and the MDT Plant. Much of the original land which became the village came from Fairport businessman Walter Parce1. Parce's land was developed to provide housing for employees of MDT and he is considered the founder of Despatch, and hence East Rochester2
The piano also played an important role in East Rochester history. The Foster-Armstrong Company was an East Rochester Piano manufacturer and was purchased by the Aeolian-American Piano Corporation, which moved a great deal of its manufacturing capacity to plants in East Rochester. Built for them in 1905, the Piano Works housed the piano manufacturing, WWII war production, and back to pianos until 1982. The original Piano Works buildings are still in use today as a shopping center and office complex called Piano Works Mall.
To better showcase the village's proximity to the city of Rochester, the village was incorporated as the Village of East Rochester in 1906. The boundaries of the village were divided between the towns of Perinton, Pittsford, and Penfield. In 1982 the residents of the village voted to become a coterminous town and village.
About East Rochester
Photo Despatch - July 2008 by BradMandell
According to its Wikipedia Article,
East Rochester has been home to some of the finest Italian restaurants in the Rochester area.
"Due to the success of its high school sports teams, (despite the small size of the village and school in relation to surrounding towns) East Rochester has been affectionately referred to as "The Home of Champions."
"Renowned for two notable disasters ... involving derailments on the double-track mainline running through town. The first ... 29 October 1969 when a 30-car Penn Central freight train carrying produce derailed onto West Maple Avenue ... crushing numerous automobiles and toppling telephone poles. Remarkably, no one was injured. — On 16 January 2007, a 13-car CSX intermodal train traveling 60 miles per hour and carrying retail goods partially derailed at the South Lincoln underpass, spilling at least five containers and two intermodal wells onto the road below. The wreckage extended west from South Lincoln along East Maple Avenue to Madison Street as derailed cars crushed a number of vehicles parked alongside the tracks and dumped intermodal containers into the front yards of residents on Maple.
Places to Eat
East Rochester Overview & Real Estate Listings from Property Source
A Brief History of East Rochester, on the town/village web site for more information
Note: You must be logged in to add comments